My New Favorite Outfit: Non-Fiction Must Reads

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Non-Fiction Must Reads


Today I thought I'd do something a bit different and share some of my favorite reads with you.  They all happen to be non-fiction I've read recently and that are all amazing stories worth telling!


First is Enrique's Journey: It follows the journey of a teenage boy trying to travel the trains from Honduras to the United States to be reunited with his mother. The story puts a real face to the immigration issue and makes me realize how truly great I have it here in America in comparison to the lives of many in other countries.  

Second is Three Little Words: It's a memoir of a girl and her struggles in and out of the foster care system. It's powerful and moving and makes me take pause and consider the idea of foster care, as there are never enough loving homes for this kids to feel safe in.

Third is Unbroken: You might have seen the movie but the book is definitely worth reading. This follows the life of Louis Zamperini as he strives to become an Olympic Athlete, only to the have the Olympics cancelled due to WWII. He enlists then becomes stranded in the ocean then saved only to end up in a Japanese POW camp. Louis' life was an amazing one and his story definitely worth telling.

Forth is  American Sniper: Brian and I plan to see the movie soon. This story is unlike anything I've read before. Chris put a face to patriotism and the life of a SEAL that I never had experienced before. Though his story is a controversial one, the war in Iraq has been such a huge part of our lives during the last decade or so it was a story needing to be told.  

What about you?  What are your favorite reads right now? I'm also excited to add books to my list.

4 comments:

  1. I have not had one free second to read lately and that makes me so sad! I am ready for summer nights on the porch where we all three read! Unbroken and American Sniper are two of my hubby's favorite books. Thanks for the summer read suggestions! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for a new book to read. Thanks for the great tips!!
    oXo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound so amazing, I love non-fiction! I don't think I could read Three Little Words though as I'm a Social Worker in child welfare and sadly experience this almost daily with many of the children I work with. Thanks for sharing.
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually been reading a ton lately! Right now I'm reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I like the book so far! American Sniper is on my list of books to read. I saw the movie and I thought it was really well done.

    ReplyDelete