My New Favorite Outfit: Being Present

Monday, January 26, 2015

Being Present

Mindless surfing. Check Facebook...check Instagram....check email...repeat.  Urg, this is the worst and I find myself doing it. All. The. Time. I find myself being so concerned about what's going on within the world of Social Media I forget what really matters.  Please tell me you can at least relate a bit?

Once I get home from school all Grant want's to do is play with me. I'll be busy emptying the dishwasher, starting dinner and starting laundry, which are all valid reasons for him to entertain himself, but once that's caught up it's time for me to put down my phone and truly be present. I could use the excuse of winding down and being tired, but there will come a time when Grant quits asking me to play. I need to soak up the time I have.

The same thing goes for my husband.  Once Grant is finally to bed Brian and I have only about an hour, maybe hour and a half together before bed.  Should I really spend it on my phone??? I think the obvious answer is no. 

I know there needs to be a balance between "me time" and family time, but I'm really trying to make an effort to be present with the ones I love.  Because, you know what? God is always present, always there for us, always available. He has an endless supply of time to listen to the details of our day, our hopes, our fears.  I really want to work to be more like him and unplug from the things that don't matter. 


I never thought I'd get so much wear out of a piece as I have this vest! Today I decided to try it with my striped dress and boots, and I really like how it came together. The flurries had just begun when I snapped these pictures quickly. Luckily, it didn't stick around! Spring can't come soon enough!


Dress: Gap almost exact
Vest: Target same 
Necklace: Edith Marie Jewelry c/o similar
Bracelets: chloe + isabel c/o samesame 
Boots: Born similar

10 comments:


  1. What a fabulous look Ginny! I still don't have a fur vest! I need to jump on that bandwagon soon!! I agree about time. That is why I don't have a Facebook Account. My daughter dances out of town nearly 30 hours each week. That plus my job equals no downtime at all. I am not sure how to get it back into balance but I know I need to do that! God does not intend for us to be so busy! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the stripes and faux fur together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your mix of stripes and fur!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate! I find that this is always something I'm reminding myself to do, just be present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi dear beautiful pics under the snow
    i like your necklace
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the reminder! our kids won't always want to play with us or sit on our laps or hold our hands, it's so important to take that time and make a memory.
    love the outfit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle soooo much with being present. You are not at all alone, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really try to do the same thing and put down my phone. I really like the combination of the stripes and fur!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you styled that stripe dress. The vest and the necklace are perfect! I can totally relate. I need to constantly remind myself to put my phone down and give my complete attention to my girls or my husband. ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete